Green June is a month-long celebration of eco-focused events and festivals - coordinated by Sunshine Coast Council - aimed at giving Sunshine Coast residents the skills to reduce their environmental footprint. Check out our calendar for all the events to immerse yourself in.
With winter arriving officially, our subtropical weather is cooling down in the mornings and evenings, and it's a more comfortable time to grow many cooler season crops without as many pest problems. June and July are wonderful months to grow so many edibles in our climate so get planting! It's also a time to plan your crop protection if you are prone to getting frost. If you need a little help, check out the workshops and courses on offer and the many events on our calendar.
You'll find some tips on what to plant during June/July, growing tips, and other sustainable and healthy living resources in our Recommended Articles.
Between newsletters, our guest bloggers post great articles so visit our blog to always get the latest.
Highlights this month:
NEW! Inspiring Story - Our latest story "Fiona & Carly: With Children in Wild Spaces" by Alison Green shares an insight into The Natureweavers Place, a program to connect children with nature in a world where many kids suffer from Nature Deficit Disorder. If you are a parent or grandparent or just remember what it was like to have the freedom to explore outdoors and the joys of dirt under your toes, you'll enjoy this read. Please share a comment with your thoughts at the end of the story.
- NEW! The Green Blog - We hope you enjoy reading our most recent posts:
- With school holidays in June/July, many will be getting away so check out Five Tips for Environmentally Friendly Travelling by Chloe Marchment for ways you can make better choices.
- Cat Green shares how consumers can benefit from local bulk buying food groups and ways you can get involved in her post Consumer Choice ... Coming to a home near you.
- Chloe Marchment explores some of the benefits of electric vs petrol cars in The Benefits of Owning an Electric Car.
- NEW! What's On Calendar - Check out the latest events including workshops, talks, movie screenings, Expos, Permaculture and environment activities + much more. Visit often - new events are added regularly. Here are just a few:
- Latest News and Interesting Sites...
- Harvest Swap Sunshine Coast - Got crops or produce to share? Check out this great new monthly initiative for swapping your goodies.
- Sustainable Sunshine Coast - A joint initiative of the University of the Sunshine Coast, Sunshine Coast Council and Sunshine Coast TAFE.
- Free e-Waste Disposal - Drop-off your electrical waste, free of charge, at various tips across the Sunshine Coast on selected dates in June. A limit of 15 items per drop off applies. Please note that disposed products will not be returned.
- Free Video Series with Geoff Lawton on Permaculture design.
- Birds in Backyards - If you want to know which bird is dropping into your backyards, this fascinating resource has everything you need to know.
- Gifts - Visit our online shop for educational gifts for your friends and family. Thanks - your support helps us be sustainable too!
- Check out our Home Page where you'll find a selection of articles and news on our website + links to loads of free resources.
Like us on Facebook and join our growing community of followers, where we share latest news, updates on upcoming workshops and events, interesting articles, links and more.
- What to Plant Now in the Sub-tropics - a list of edibles to sow/plant during June/July.
- Winter Citrus Care - Green Harvest provides tips on maintaining your citrus trees.
- Guide to Growing Perfect Peas - Now's the time to plant peas to enjoy them over winter.
- How to Use Wood Ash - Ways to recycle this resource in your garden to boost production.
- Winter Spinach - Varieties to grow through the colder months.
- How to Grow, Harvest and Save Basil Seeds - How to propagate your basil to extend your harvest.
- Under the Carpet - If you recycle old carpet in your organic garden, get the lowdown on toxic chemicals you may be inadvertently adding and the safer alternatives.
- Health Benefits of Herb Robert - Isabell Shipard shares medicinal properties of this amazing plant and how to use it for health.
- Creative Composting for the Home & Community Garden - Outlines benefits and uses of compost; how to compost step-by-step using A.D.A.M. and solve common problems.
- Prepare Your Emergency & Evacuation Kits - A free checklist from Sunshine Coast Council on preparedness for emergencies.
- Making Rosella Jam - Jean shares a pictorial guide with tips for turning your produce into delicious jam.
Please continue to support our local educators, farmers, school and community gardeners, markets and organisations who work hard to share knowledge and produce from their own green journeys.
Enjoy this issue!